Triathlon is a separate sport covering three disciplines...swimming, cycling and running. The great thing about triathlon is the sheer variety of events and distances covered, usually in scenic locations.
There is something for everybody here, from relatively short Sprint events right up to the iconic Ironman events, which involve a 2.4 mile open water swim, 112 miles on the bike, all finished off with a 26.2 mile marathon run! If you don't like swimming, you can take on Duathlon events, which usually involve a 5k run, 20k on the bike, finishing off with a 10k run.
Whatever your current running ability, it makes sense to start with shorter events close to home, before graduating to longer events.
At their heart triathlons have several things in common:
1. Careful consideration of age, physical ability and health.
2. Planning nutrition, hydration and self-aid before and during the event.
3. Preparation and testing of equipment required for the event.
4. A long view to training plans, sometimes up to 12 weeks.
5. Detailed planning, including travel and accommodation.
6. It pays to practise 'transition', which is the changeover 'zone' between the three disciplines.
Whilst we are not a Triathlon Club, we have numerous members who do compete in triathlons, ranging from local Supersprint events right up to Ironman Wales. They are happy to offer the benefit of their experiences.
If you want a chat about triathlon and find out more about local events, please free to contact Malcolm on the link below.
Copyright © 2023 Penarth and Dinas Runners - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy